Independent Study has been designed to provide students with an opportunity for Individual study, research, or other projects under instructor guidance. Written reports and periodic conferences required. Content and unit credit to be determined by student/instructor conferences and/or departmental recommendation. Designed to provide an opportunity for qualified students to do individual study in a selected area of a subject field. The student may take up to a maximum of six units of Independent Study course work in a particular discipline. The Instructor is responsible for providing advice and guidance as required, and for evaluating student performance. Instructors providing Independent Study opportunities do so, on a voluntary basis.
Checklist and Procedure:
- Proposed Independent Study Course has an approved course outline that is in compliance with Title 5 regulations.
- Discuss proposed Independent Study with Instructor. Instructor must approve.
- Complete Independent Study contract and summary form for the course. Available at the Division Dean’s office.
- Attach a course syllabus to contract, obtain instructor signature and forward to appropriate Dean for signature.
- Dean’s office will forward completed application package to the VP of Instruction for approval.
- Office of Instruction will provide a section number upon VP of Instruction approval of completed application and syllabus.
- If the contract is cancelled, the student must drop the class following standard drop procedures and dates.
- A copy of the contract must remain in the Instructor’s files with all materials justifying the award of grade and completion of units for audit purposes.
Independent Study 99, 129, 149
Prerequisite: Formulation of a written statement of purpose acceptable to the instructor and demonstration of sufficient background and skill to undertake the project
Units are awarded according to the following formula of time committed to the course:
1 unit 54 hours per semester
2 units 108 hours per semester
3 units 162 hours per semester
CSU may limit the number of Independent Study units accepted.
UC maximum credit allowed: three and one-third semester credits per term, six units total, in any or all appropriate subject areas combined. Granting of course credit contingent upon an evaluation of the course outline by a UC campus.